More Information

Individual Counseling

Dr. Chantal provides individual counseling services and mental health therapy in her Plantation Florida office, located near Fort Lauderdale, Weston, Davie, Sunrise, Cooper City, and Tamarac.

Image of Individual Feeling Happy after receiving Mental Health Counseling

Individual Counseling can help you feel in control again!

Counseling and Mental Health Therapy for Individuals

 

Why Counseling: How Counseling Can Help

Sometimes, life can get a little overwhelming. Whether it’s stress at work, problems at home, or you just haven’t been feeling like yourself, counseling can help. Counseling can help you cope with and resolve many different kinds of problems. Therapy can also help you learn about yourself, help you make difficult decisions, and improve your quality of life and overall health.

Are you living your best life? Is there a habit you’d like to break? A problem you’d like to solve? An area of your life you’d like to improve? That’s what counseling is all about! Together, we can get you back on the road to wellness, and help you maximize your potential!

What is Individual Psychotherapy?

Individual counseling, also called individual therapy, facilitates the exploration and resolution of personal problems and issues according to the specific needs of the individual. Individual sessions provide you with a personalized and completely private therapy experience. Dr. Gagnon will evaluate your situation and utilize the best individual counseling approaches and techniques to reduce your symptoms, resolve your problems, improve your emotional well-being, and increase the quality of your life.

Some of the issues often addressed in individual counseling are:

  • Depression
  • Mood Disorders
  • Anxiety
  • Fears, Panic, and Worry
  • Loneliness
  • Relationship Issues
  • Parenting Issues
  • Sexual Abuse and Trauma
  • Divorce and Life Transitions
  • Self-esteem
  • Domestic Violence
  • Combat Stress / PTSD
  • Shyness
  • Anger
  • Substance Abuse / Addictions
  • Sexuality Issues
  • Dealing with Illness or Infertility
  • Grief / Loss
  • Job Stress
  • Personal Growth

Does Therapy Really Work?

Individual Counseling - Individual Therapy - Counseling Service Plantation FL - Therapy Plantation FL - Counselor Plantation FL - Dr. Chantal Marie Gagnon - www.LifeCounselor.net

OK, we don’t really drink cappuccino in therapy, but it’s just like talking to a friend!

In a survey by Consumer Reports Magazine, the majority of people who sought mental health treatment reported significant improvement in their problems.   Other studies have found that people who participate in psychotherapy and individual counseling are more likely to get better than 80% of the people who do not seek therapy.  In other words, without therapy, the likelihood of improvement is 20%, whereas with therapy, it is 80%.  And, more recently, neuroscience research has demonstrated that changes in the neural structure of the brain can take place as a result of psychotherapy treatment, and that these changes can support lasting improvement in emotions and behavior.

Psychiatric Medication or Counseling:

Which One Do You Need?

Medication can be an important part of mental health treatment in some cases, but not everyone benefits from medication. Even in individuals for whom medication is helpful, research shows that combining medication with psychotherapy is more effective than medication alone. Dr. Gagnon generally advises her patients to see her for an initial evaluation where together she will help you determine what will likely be the most beneficial approach in your situation. If a medication evaluation would be helpful, Dr. Gagnon refers to several qualified psychiatrists in the area whom she has collaborated with in the past and believes have a high level of clinical competence.

I don’t have a mental illness and I feel generally good.

Do I need individual counseling?

Therapy is not just for mental illness: it can help with many other normal life difficulties, such as coping with a breakup or job loss, learning how you come across to others and improving your social skills, overcoming your fear of public speaking, getting unstuck and out of a rut, learning more about yourself, and improving your relationships. Give it a try! You’re probably going to really like it!

Image of Appointment Button Dr. Chantal Logo

Special Recent Posts

5 Ways to Improve Mental Health & Increase Happiness

5 Ways to Improve Mental Health & Increase Happiness

Happy people do things differently. They make their emotional wellbeing a priority and practice dail[...]
Panic Attack Symptoms: Understanding and Overcoming Your Anxiety

Panic Attack Symptoms: Understanding and Overcoming Your Anxiety

What are Panic Attacks? Anxiety symptoms that are severe enough to be diagnosed as an Anxiety D[...]
Insomnia & Mood: 5 Tips to Improve Sleep

Insomnia & Mood: 5 Tips to Improve Sleep

Sleep and Mental Health The quality of your sleep has a direct impact on your mental health and[...]
Want Better Relationships? Here's the Secret!

Want Better Relationships? Here's the Secret!

Some time ago, I wrote an article for PsychCentral, titled "The Secret to Great Relationships of Any[...]
Understanding Suicide and Getting Help

Understanding Suicide and Getting Help

According to the Center for Disease Control, there were over 41,000 suicides in 2013.  Suicide is a [...]

Serving Plantation, Weston, Fort Lauderdale, Sunrise, Davie, Cooper City, Hollywood, Tamarac, Dania Beach