Evelyn Barrera, Ed.S.
Licensed School Psychologist
Evelyn Barrera, a School Psychologist for over 20 years and former head of the School Psychology Department at Miami-Dade Public Schools, offers a wealth of expertise. Proficient in Pre-K and Autism Spectrum Disorder assessments, she specializes in educational evaluations, IQ, ADHD, autism, and intellectual disability assessments. With a commitment to understanding individuals across age groups,
As a private practice school psychologist, I provide a range of services tailored to meet the specific needs of your child. My services include conducting assessments to identify learning challenges or emotional concerns, developing intervention plans, and providing consultation to support your child's academic and social success. I work closely with you and your child to create a personalized plan that addresses their unique needs and helps them thrive in an educational setting.
Collaboration is a crucial aspect of my approach. In a private practice setting, I will work with your child's teachers, school personnel, and any other professionals involved in their care to create a seamless and comprehensive support system. This collaborative effort ensures that your child's educational and emotional needs are met and that we can collectively work toward their success.
A Clinical Psychologist specializes in diagnosing and treating a wide range of mental health issues in individuals across the lifespan, often working in various settings like private practices or healthcare facilities. In contrast, a School Psychologist focuses on the psychological and educational needs of students in an academic context, conducting assessments, offering support within the school environment, and collaborating with educators, parents, and students to enhance students' academic and emotional well-being.
As a school psychologist, I can provide guidance on recognizing signs of developmental disorders or mental health issues in students. It's essential to stay vigilant for indicators such as significant changes in behavior, emotions, or academic performance. Warning signs may include withdrawal from social interactions, extreme mood swings, consistent academic struggles, persistent anxiety, frequent disruptions, or a sudden loss of interest in activities.
With expertise in giftedness, learning disabilities, ADHD, and autism evaluations, Evelyn tailors psychoeducational testing and assessment for your child's unique needs. Beyond academics, Evelyn collaborates with our entire team of counselors, psychiatrists, and academic tutors to ensure a supportive environment where your child thrives academically, emotionally and socially.
Evelyn is experienced in the following assessments:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Evaluations for all age groups, including preschoolers
- Intellectual and Cognitive Assessments to gauge overall cognitive functioning
- Learning Disability Assessments to identify specific learning challenges
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Evaluations for attention and impulse control
- Emotional and Behavioral Assessments to understand and address mental health concerns
- Social-Emotional Developmental Screenings to assess interpersonal skills
- Adaptive Functioning Assessments to evaluate daily life skills
- Speech and Language Assessments for communication development
- Executive Functioning Assessments to evaluate skills like organization and planning
- Academic Achievement Testing to measure proficiency in core subjects
- Gifted and Talented Assessments to identify exceptional cognitive abilities
- Psychoeducational Assessments to understand the interaction between cognitive and educational factors
- Functional Behavioral Assessments to analyze and address challenging behaviors
- Preschool Developmental Screenings to assess overall development in young children
Assessment and Evaluation:
- Administering and interpreting psychological and educational assessments.
- Identifying learning disabilities, cognitive abilities, and emotional disorders.
- Conducting psychoeducational assessments to inform intervention planning.
- Collaborating with teachers, parents, and other school staff to address student needs.
- Offering guidance on behavioral and academic interventions.
- Supporting the development of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students with special needs.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Effectively communicating with diverse groups, including students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to create a supportive school environment.
- Advocating for students’ needs and rights.
Knowledge of Child Development:
- Understanding the developmental stages and milestones of children and adolescents.
- Applying this knowledge to support age-appropriate interventions and services.
- Recognizing and respecting the cultural and individual diversity of students and families.
- Adapting interventions and assessments to be culturally sensitive and relevant.
- Implementing behavior management techniques and positive behavior support.
- Developing behavior intervention plans for students with challenging behaviors.
Special Education Expertise:
- Familiarity with special education laws, regulations, and services.
- Supporting students with disabilities through the special education process.
- Continuously staying updated on best practices, research, and innovations in the field.
- Engaging in ongoing professional development to enhance skills and knowledge.
Empathy and Interpersonal Skills:
- Demonstrating empathy and compassion when working with students and their families.
- Building rapport and trust to establish effective therapeutic relationships.
Please contact me via my contact form at vcita: