Individual Counseling

Counseling and Mental Health Therapy for Individuals

Dr. Chantal provides individual counseling services and mental health therapy in-person in her Plantation Florida office, located near Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Weston, Davie, Sunrise, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and Tamarac, Florida. We also offer tele-health video chat counseling throughout Florida.

Why Counseling?...How PsychoTherapy Can Help

Sometimes, life can get a little overwhelming. Whether it's stress at work, problems at home, or you just haven't been feeling like yourself, counseling can help. Counseling (also called talk therapy or psychotherapy) is a set of scientifically-backed, evidence-based approaches to treating emotional difficulties or mental health disorders. Therapy can help you cope with and resolve many different kinds of problems. Individual Counseling can also help you learn about yourself, navigate life transitions, help you make difficult decisions, and improve your quality of life and overall health.

Ask Yourself:

  • Are you living your best life?
  • Is there a habit you’d like to break?
  • A relationship you'd like to improve?
  • A problem you’d like to solve?
  • An area of your life you’d like to change?

A good therapist, focused on your needs and goals, can help! Together, we can get you back on the road to happiness, wellness, and help you maximize your potential!

I don't have a mental illness and I feel generally good.

Do I need individual counseling?

What is Individual Psychotherapy?

Individual counseling, also called individual therapy, facilitates the exploration and resolution of personal problems and issues according to the specific needs of the individual. Individual sessions provide you with a personalized and completely private therapy experience. Dr. Chantal will evaluate your situation and utilize the best individual counseling approaches and techniques to reduce your symptoms, resolve your problems, improve your emotional well-being, and increase the quality of your life.

Image of young woman feeling relieved breathing fresh air

Some of the issues often addressed in individual counseling are:


Mood Disorders


Relationship Issues

Fears, Panic, and Worry


Parenting Issues

Sexual Abuse and Trauma

Divorce and Life Transitions


Postpartum & Perinatal Depression and Anxiety (in both men and women)


Recovery for Childhood Abuse

Body Image Issues & Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Addictions & Compulsions

Bipolar Disorder & Cyclothymic Disorder

Personality Disorders

Suicide Prevention and Suicidal Thoughts

Self-Harm and Cutting

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)


Spiritual Problems & Concerns

Help with Parenting / Parenting Stress & Challenges

Coming Out & other LGBTQ+ Concerns

Domestic Violence

Combat Stress / PTSD



Substance Abuse / Addictions

Sexuality Issues

Dealing with Illness or Infertility

Grief / Loss / Bereavement

Job Stress

Personal Growth

PMS-Premenstrual Syndrome & PMDD-Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Insomnia and Sleep Problems

Eating Disorders & Unhealthy Relationship with Food

Alcohol Misuse & Alcoholism

Drug Abuse

Pornography Addiction

Hair Pulling & Skin Picking (Trichitillomania)

Worries and Fears

Attention Deficit Disorders - ADD and ADHD

Caregiver Stress

Compassion Fatigue & Secondary Trauma for Helping Professionals

Sexuality / Sexual Problems / Sexual Dysfunctions

Women's Issues

Men's Issues

Coping with Illness

Therapy is not just for mental illness: it can help with many other normal life difficulties, such as coping with a breakup or job loss, learning how you come across to others and improving your social skills, overcoming your fear of public speaking, getting unstuck and out of a rut, learning more about yourself, and improving your relationships.

Give it a try! You're probably going to really like it!

Does Therapy Really Work?

Short Answer: Yes, it does!

In a survey by Consumer Reports Magazine, the majority of people who sought mental health treatment reported significant improvement in their problems.  

Other studies have found that people who participate in psychotherapy and individual counseling are more likely to get better than 80% of the people who do not seek therapy. In other words, without therapy, the likelihood of improvement is 20%, whereas with therapy, it is 80%. 

And, more recently, neuroscience research has demonstrated that changes in the neural structure of the brain can take place as a result of psychotherapy treatment, and that these changes can support lasting improvement in emotions and behavior.


Psychotherapy that gets results in Broward County Florida

Psychiatric Medication or Counseling?......... Which One Do You Need?

Psychiatric medication can be an important part of mental health treatment in some cases, but not everyone benefits from medication.

Even in individuals for whom medication is helpful, research shows that combining medication with psychotherapy is more effective than medication alone.

Dr. Chantal generally advises her patients to see her for an initial evaluation where together she will help you determine what will likely be the most beneficial approach in your situation. If a medication evaluation would be helpful, Dr. Chantal's clinical team includes wonderful, very qualified psychiatrists that can work with you.

Generally, about 20% of our therapy clients also take medication, while about 80% are able to acheive their emotional wellness and mental health goals without medication.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Plantation FL

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was the very first specialized counseling method and learned and used as a new therapist (many years ago). It's still one of my favorites, but since then, my passion for meeting the unique needs of each patient, family or couple has led me to development training, experience and/or expertise in several therapy modalities, including:

My Plantation, Florida office is located in midtown Plantation, just steps away from Weston, Davie, Cooper City, Sunrise, Tamarac, and Fort Lauderdale. (across the street from Broward Mall).